To New Beginnings

Sunday, January 01, 2017


So this is Christmas,
And what have you done?
Another year over,
And a new one’s just begun.

A very merry Christmas,
And a happy new year!
Let’s hope it’s a good one,
Without any fear.

I hope everyone of you had exactly that: A very merry Christmas, having spent time with their family and loved ones and a good start into the new year.
2016 is finally over. Another year that has gone by so fast! This time around, however, it has undoubtedly been one of the toughest so far for me. So needless to say I am even more excited than usual for a new year to start and a clean slate with new chances and opportunities.

Exactly one year ago, I was, as always, looking forward to yet another new year having high expectations for it. I would finish my first year at University and start my second one. I would spend my birthday at a huge festival and my summer travelling and visiting friends. However, little did I know, that none of those things would happen the way I wanted them to.

The night of my 19th birthday, I injured my back quite badly which meant therapy instead of going to the festival I waited for so long the next day. With all of the packing already done and the tickets bought, I had to watch my friends go without me while spending my days on painkillers in bed.

My summer plans quickly changed when finding out I had to spend time studying for my criminal law exam rather than being able to see parts of the world. And because that didn’t seem to be bad enough, I happened to fail that exact same exam twice now already, leaving me studying through my winter break and having to attempt it a third time in January. The date for the third, written exam happens to be on the exact same day the Green Day concert in Zurich takes place. I had bought tickets for it because they are by far my favourite band and I waited for that opportunity for so long now. Well, needless to say, I had to sell them making me miss another thing I wanted so badly.
And the worst thing about this uni-related situation is that I am going to set law aside either way, as I am now sure that it is not what I want to do later on. I like it, but not enough to spend my life doing and practicing it. I am going to switch over to translation and comparative literary studies in March, as becoming an interpreter and translator has been a dream of mine for a long time. 

Also on a personal level, things haven’t been too great. From people previously having been really close to me changing and leaving me behind for no reason, to long periods of mental health issues and times of sadness because of that, to even someone way too young passing away, anything you could possibly imagine went wrong. This made me question a lot of things and coping with that was really hard.

This is also why I am so eternally grateful for my very best friend, who helped me get through all of this supporting my decisions and being there for me every step of the way. We ended up going on a six-day trip to Rome together which was incredibly great and we made amazing memories.

Another highlight and probably the best thing that happened to me this year was getting my little puppy Oscar. This little bundle of joy has helped me through so many bad days with his big, loving eyes and his ever so cute smile. I will be sure to introduce him to you very soon.

My second favourite thing of the year has to be seeing the “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” play in the Palace Theatre in the West End of London roughly two weeks ago. It was one of the most magical things I have ever had the honour and pleasure of witnessing. I laughed and I cried and I wished so dearly that it would never end. Being able to see this and being a part of it made me so incredibly happy.

And this happiness lives on in the memories I made and I can always go back to that and remind myself of all the good times I was lucky enough to experience, even in the darkest of times.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments